Journal of Surgical Simulation 2015; 2: A: 2 - 2
Published: 30 June 2015
Special Issue: Patient safety - defining the problems, how to manage error, and strategies to address them
An experiential talk looking at the role of a patient safety lead in a large acute trust, focusing on:
• tools for examining practice and safety incidents, taken in the context of an ever increasing demand for harm free care
• introducing some potential strategies for implementing safer care
• discussing why safety action planning may be difficult to embed and change hard to effect
• introducing the concept of resilience engineering
• exploring the role of simulation in improving safe practice.
Patient safety; resilience engineering; simulation
This presentation was given at "Striving Towards the High Reliability Organisation", Fourth Annual Simulation Conference, Homerton University Hospital, London UK on 11 December 2014.